Saturday, December 31, 2016

Sew 60's! The flower power shift.

 Recently, I bought some fabric from EmSewCrazy that made me squeal the moment that I saw it. I had the perfect pattern for this bold, busy print and I have just enough crazy in me to feel like I could rock the retro look.
 I am in love with patterns from the 60's and 70's. I may have mentioned it before, but it seems like the dress patterns from those eras were made for women with my figure. I rarely have to do any adjustments besides length, which makes the construction of these garments a lot more fun for me.
 It took me awhile to carve out some time to sew now that I am working regular hours, but once I got to it, this dress came together quickly. The process was sped up considerably by using bias tape for the neck and armhole facings. The pattern included a template for a belt, but we all know how I feel about those.





The only real changes that I made to the basic style were altering the pocket shapes and taking several inches off the hem. This garment will be a winter layering piece, so I wanted to keep it simple.
 I couldn't help but add an over-sized button to the hook and loop closure, though. It was too perfect an opportunity to pass up.

1 comment:

RosieGma said...

Love it...great dress......