Monday, September 5, 2016

Wrapper's Delight

 As summer winds down, I finally have some time to get back in to the sewing room!

This fall, there are quite a few garment projects on my list, and I started with this McCall's wrap top pattern.
 The suggested fabrics do not include knit jersey, but I am nothing if not a rule-breaker. In addition to changing the fabric for this pattern, I also decided that I didn't want the ties. This is meant as an everyday wear top, and ain't nobody got time for ties when I'm getting my dailies done.

As I hacked this pattern, I surprised myself by having the presence of mind to size down in order to accommodate the use of a stretch fabric. That sort of advance troubleshooting doesn't happen too often around here, so allow me to pat myself on the back for that one.  *pats self on back*
 Of course, I just wouldn't be me if I didn't screw up the construction somehow on a new pattern attempt, and, as you can see above, the top of the front panels didn't quite hit their marks. Pretty sure that the fabric isn't supposed to cut right across my chest like that. Whoops.
 But, can we take a moment to glory in the fit on this? Yeah, yeah, wrinkles and poor photography...ignore those. Look, instead, at how my curves are represented! This is no potato sack, friends. I'm pretty happy about it.
 The flash made this print a little seizure-inducing, and it was too cloudy outside for photos.
Thus, I made a second one with the proper panel placement, and I changed to a bell sleeve instead of the ones with elastic in the wrist. How seriously sweet is this top?? I also lengthened the pattern by a few inches, but the hem got a little jacked up, so I'm going to have to redo that when I get some woolly nylon thread. That's small potatoes, though. I'm loving the comfort and trendiness of this style.

2 comments:

mahlicadesigns said...

This pattern has been in my stack to rehome for a while. I may keep it now to make some in knits.
Great Idea!

Angela said...

I would love to see your knit interpretation of this pattern, Melissa! I think the style would look great on you.