Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What Dreams Are Made Of....


I recently came across a photo in a catalog of THE COOLEST TOP EVER, and I knew I needed it immediately. But, when I went to the website and saw the price for this SHIRT OF MY FANTASIES, I balked a little. $64!? Come on, now. I mean, it's cute, but it's not THAT cute.

 Yes it is that cute.  Thankfully, I found a pattern in my bottomless pit of patterns that I thought would work for a "similar" design. I mean, I'm not really copying the style...just, you know, using it as inspiration.
 I was fortunate to unearth some kinda, sorta coordinating fabric in my knit stash and I whipped out this beauty in a fairly short amount of time.
 The only obstacles that I ran into were with the pattern measurements. The sleeve was about 8" too long even before I added the cuff length, so that got sized down right quick. And, the pattern piece for the collar ribbing was made for doll heads. Like, Barbie doll heads. I actually had to make sure that I didn't accidentally cut out the cuff pattern. Nope, sure didn't. I decided to wing it on the neckline. :)
 Also, I may have accidentally cut the one sleeve backwards...which definitely matters in a raglan top. Whoops. Cut a new one, and now I have an orphan sleeve hanging out in my fabric stash. :(
Ultimately, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this top. It is lightweight and perfect for spring hiking or bike riding. And, it cost me $0!! Is it as cute as the "inspiration piece"? No, but I have the muslin made for future tops using more exciting fabric. So, ha!

3 comments:

fadanista.com said...

One thing that I'm not good at is coordinating patterned fabrics. You've done brilliantly and this is easily as nice as your inspiration top!

Jodi Wade said...

It looks so great!! The orphan sleeve is a great excuse to make another in a different fabric...

Jodi Wade said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.