Sunday, March 20, 2016

Bohemian Rhapsody

 Last week, while I was wasting my life away on Pinterest, this super-sweet video tutorial done by Rin from Sew In Love popped up in my feed. As soon as I saw the "Boho Kimono" title, I was hooked. I own exactly ZERO peasant-style tops, and the pattern looked too easy for me to pass up. I mean, I only had to cut out 4 rectangles and 2 trapezoids!

Rin's version is a dress, but I really just wanted a sheer top for layering in the summer. According to the video, any "drapey" fabric will do for this, so I pulled from my stash and got to work.
I am convinced that sheer fabric is manufactured using THE SCREAMS OF FRIGHTENED CHILDREN, because this stuff is NIGHTMARE FUEL! As soon as I had cut the first 2 rectangles, I knew that I was in trouble. I used a straight edge and a rotary cutter, yet my rectangles looked more like drunktangles. What was happening???

Sheer fabric may be "drapey," but I quickly learned that it does not have the stability, or the stretch, for this project. I powered through it, but I have to admit that it almost got wadded at least a dozen times. The final result is not at all what I had hoped for in fit, and instead of taking it apart, I grabbed some ITY knit and tried again.
 I also made a few changes to the original tutorial instructions. I appreciate that Rin was laying it out so that beginners could put this together, but there were a few things that made me cringe as an intermediate.
#1 - I got rid of the casing for the elastic, and just sewed it directly to the underbust seam.
#2 - The seam allowances were all constructed at 3/8"
#3 - I hemmed the sleeves and neck opening LAST so that the edges looked more finished.
 The original pattern also calls for a waist tie that I excluded from both garments. I just didn't see the point of it when there is already elastic in there.

The ITY performed like a champ on this project, and it would have been a total home run except for that fact that I ignored my machine manual and used crap thread in my twin needle during hemming. So, I have some awkward stitchery happening that I am too lazy to pull out. Regardless of that, this is a very comfortable and wearable knit top. I wish that the sheer had worked out better, but I learned a valuable lesson about working with that fabric, so it was not a complete loss.  

No comments: