Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Top That Shall Not Be Named..

 I had grand plans and high hopes for this super cute summer top pattern that I picked up at Goodwill several months ago.  This style caught my eye because I love the idea of the fitted bodice with flowing skirt portion. Plus, since the bust area is separately constructed from the bottom section I figured that I could scale the fit better to my 30" rib cage and 36" bust.
I found the perfect lightweight synthetic fabric in my stash, and I actually spent some time fussy-cutting to get the painted design showcased in key areas.  But, once I got the bodice put together, I tried it on and realized that it was WAAAAAAY too low cut. I mean, this goes beyond tasteful cleavage and into the might-as-well-be-wearing-pasties realm.
 The rest of the pieces had already been cut out, and I was conflicted about whether or not to bother finishing this. I knew that there was no way in hell I would ever wear this top, but I hated that I was wasting all that time and effort that I spent cutting and planning.  So, I finished it....sorta.
 As you can see, I didn't install the zipper. But, I did spend SO MUCH TIME doing stupid rolled hems along all 4 stupid sides of all 4 stupid panels on stupid, gauzy, synthetic fabric.  And, when I tried it on again (because I'm terrific at convincing myself that things aren't THAT bad), it turns out that the lack of boob coverage wasn't even the worst of this style on me. Those gathered panels gave me a ridiculous potato shape. Ugh!
I'm not even sure what to do with this thing now. I'm not wasting a zipper on it, but I hate to toss it. I'll probably just throw it in my scrap pile and salvage the fabric down the road for something else.

As for the pattern - I could probably fix the pattern to have better coverage, but I really have no business wearing this style. Any tops that don't cut in at the waist just make me look frumpy. I knew that before going in to this, but we've discussed my poor decision-making and delusional optimism previously. I'm sure this wont be the last time that I make something so terribly inadequate for my shape.

No comments: