Saturday, June 13, 2015

Karma Capris

With summer in full swing here, I thought it was time to bite the bullet and make some capris. This is a big deal, because I am pretty scared of sewing pants. Skirts - no problem, shorts - sure, why not? But, pants? Yikes!  So, I pulled out a pattern that looked pretty dummy-proof to ease the way a little.
 This pattern lists just about every fabric imaginable in the suggested list, the waist for view B is elastic, and the style seemed like it could be flattering on just about anyone. So, I dove in with a cotton print that I have yards and yards of.
 Surprisingly, I am extremely pleased with this first attempt!! I made the garment almost exactly according to the envelope size and instructions. The main thing that I changed was the length - removing about 2 inches at the shorten line.  It appears that I could probably take another inch or so..
 The ribbon drawstrings allow for this gypsy-style hem (my son's term), but I don't love that look, and the hanging ribbon keeps making me think that bugs are crawling on my legs, so I think I'm just going to take them out and leave it as a slit.
There are some excess fabric issues in the front between crotch and waist, but the back is actually pretty good. Everything is wrinkled because I took these photos after wearing the capris all day. Sorry.

All in all, this was a quick sew. I traced out the pattern this time which will make it a lot easier to adjust my next attempt. I am thinking of modifying it to be a fitted waist, definitely adding pockets, and thinning out the legs just a tad. This could easily become a TNT with a little more tweaking. How exciting!

No comments: