Saturday, January 31, 2015

Third Time's a Charm..

In addition to my stashbusting goals this year, I am working on finding patterns that I will actually WEAR. I have no current TNT garment patterns for myself, and I feel that finding/creating some will help me make better fabric purchasing decisions in the future. So, with that in mind, I have been poring over my "tops" patterns, and came across this Butterick design for a simple jersey tunic (view D).
I crafted a wearable muslin out of some scrap knit that I had, and I was glad that the raglan sleeves are constructed in 2 sections (although, that is pretty weird) since I didn't have enough of the white print for 2 entire sleeves.
As I got ready to finish the hems, I realized that the sleeves and hem were made for a much taller woman. So, I tweaked it a little and played around with adding a "cuff" the bottom - which didn't work out so awesome.
But, I persisted and threw together a new version with my pattern adjustments. One of the big changes was making the raglan sleeves one piece instead of two because that didn't make sense to me (and, I wasn't feeling like matching stripes).
I like the sleeves slouchy, so I trimmed some length and added cuffs. This time, though, I finished the hem with some single-fold bias tape.
The final product turned out okay - the length is good, the sleeves are comfy, but I feel like the body is a little too boxy for my figure.  And, I don't know how I feel about that boat neck style. Plus, this pink is bleh.
A little disheartened, I shelved that pattern until I decide whether or not I want to mess with it some more. Instead, I pulled out a different Butterick top:
My 2 previous tops taught me that I'm definitely more of a "V" neck gal, so I chose to sew up view C and add some contrast sleeves.  Also, I ditched the lace in the example because, eww...lace.
Ignore my face. I don't know what that look is. I would have chopped off my head in the pic, but that just seemed creepier.
The fit on this top is AWESOME. I did add a little length, and I would remove some ease from the sleeves next time, but WOW, I love this.
You guys, I just found my FIRST EVER TNT pattern!! Now, when I look at knits, I will know what I want to use them for. This is pretty exciting for me. I may buy a few yards of fun knit online to celebrate. :P

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Out of my hidey hole..

My blogging has been pitiful, but we're all going to act like I'm not a lazy blogger while I post projects that I actually completed in the latter part of 2014. Sound good?  Great! Moving on...

While doing some online holiday shopping, I came across this amazing Mr. Gugu and Miss Go top on Fab.com.

But, $49?? I hemmed...I hawed....I noticed some coordinating knits in my stash that would be perfect for a copycat top!!  So, I rifled through my billions of sewing patterns and found a Kwik Sew men's raglan sweatshirt pattern that looked about right.  One of the things that I liked about the RTW top was the straight fit of the torso, so a men's pattern seemed best for that.  Also, I wanted a V neck instead of the regular collar, and my Kwik Sew pattern accommodated my vision.

And, after several disagreements with the rib knit used for the cuffs and collar, I had an AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE new sweatshirt!  Which I didn't photograph by itself...
 So that you can see the sensationally slouchy sleeves:
I love this shirt and have worn it a thousand times. It is soft and warm and it was FREE!! I acquired the knit and sweatshirt fabrics through a community "free store" that we have here once a year. Also, this only took me a couple of hours to whip up. So satisfying, guys. So. Satisfying.