Wednesday, April 30, 2014

We're Doomed!!


I would like to start this post with a "shout out" to the disgruntled Hobby Lobby employee that cut this fabric like TOTAL CRAP. Thank you, lady, for screwing up my measurements.
Sorry for the grumpiness, but sewing with satin-type fabric is not my favorite to begin with, and then I unfold it to find that almost 10 inches of this piece is unusable for the project that I bought it for. Glarg!

Okay. Rant over.

Several weeks ago, my son asked me for a Dr. Doom hooded cloak. I am always amused and delighted by his requests. In addition to the piles of everyday clothing that I have made him over the past 11 years, I have also constructed a lightsaber sheath, a "Hellbat" costume, a Mad Hatter's hat, and a Dr. Who costume, among other things. I love that he has such an amazing imagination.

So, I was on the hunt for a hooded cloak tutorial, and I found several that involved printing PDF patterns.  Um...pass. I'm not wasting 20 pages of paper and ink, plus hours of piecing and taping, on a "pretend play" garment. Eventually, I found a very simple and straightforward YouTube video - HERE.  And, WOW, so easy! I changed the measurements to fit a child, and I rounded the hood to make it more Dr. Doom-y. It's still big on him, but that is because the boy grows another inch every time I look away and I want this to last a little while.

I know that it's not much, but this was a satisfying project for me. My kid is THRILLED, and I am feeling like Super Mom today. :) It just doesn't get better than this.

No comments: