Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Diner Dress

While sorting through my patterns for this month's stashbusting theme, I came across Simplicity's 5914 circa 1973.
I chose this because of the bodice construction (have I discussed my love of darts?), but I also realized that I don't own any items with collars and cuffs. Originally, I was going to do contrasting fabric for the bodice and skirt, but I eventually decided that I would minimize the contrast with just the cuffs and collar. At the time that I made that decision, it did not occur to me that if I slapped an apron on this I could be asking people how they want their eggs.
Roods Creek Diner © Leland BobbĂ©
Oy. Dilemma. The hem is not finished yet because I can't decide if I want to add a contrast trim there. I think it would make it look less waitress-y, but I'm not feeling the motivation to make a few yards of thick bias tape right now.
Other than my ineptitude at fabric coordination, I love this pattern. The pattern designers of the 70's were speaking my body language. I made a small mistake while sewing the front bodice pieces together, but it is not that noticeable, and I will do better next time. This design fits my bust perfectly, and I adore the nip in the waist (which I did have to take in by over an inch on each side).
Also, I installed the 22" zipper like a rockstar!

I wouldn't recommend this pattern for beginners since the instructions are definitely put together for someone that has experience with sewing garments. I struggled a little with finishing the seams because there are no instructions for that, and the construction can be somewhat confusing. Also, I'm not sure why they didn't include a pocket option on this dress. It would have been pretty easy to add to the existing design. I may make that adjustment in the future.

This is mostly finished, but I'm still in the process of tacking down the collar and facings, and I am working up the energy to make a decision on the hem. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Shawn said...

I think this is adorable and wear it in a second! Doesn't even need the contract at the hem though that would be cute too.

I do believe some little contrast patch pocket at the hips would be cute too.

Eska said...

I'd love to see it with a contrast hem but why does it have to be a bias tape? Can you just make it a rectangular piece or trace the bottom inch or so of the pattern to make a fitted piece?

Angela said...

Shawn - I didn't even consider patch pockets! Do you think it would make it look too much like a granny house dress with that collar?

Eska - I thought bias tape would work best since I like the current length, but I suppose that I could just attach the trim like I would ribbon. Thanks for the suggestion!

fitnottofit said...

I love it that you can rock such bold print as this. The dress looks so comfy and is really, really fun!