Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Funky Frankenstein Jeans and Skully Skirt

 After the last 2 weeks of sewing for myself from patterns, I decided that it was time to go back to my comfort zone and take a look at what I could revamp in my current RTW wardrobe. I recalled an image that I had come across in "AlterNation" that involved transforming a pair of pants with coordinating fabric, and I finally pulled from my excessive jeans collection to try out this project.
 Instead of piecing stash fabrics to the garment, I chose to cut out a section of each leg, flip it inside-out, and sew it back on. The jeans that I picked for this project have a nice contrast of light gray on the inside, and they were desperately in need of a hem, so I thought that they would work perfectly. They did.  But, there wasn't enough pizzazz. So, I remembered this zig-zag embellishment tutorial on Make It Do that I pinned a while back, and I went to town.
Now, I chose a coordinating fabric for the zig-zag because I didn't wanted to be limited by the colors or print when matching these jeans with a top.  And, really, I don't "match" as much as I just "grab whatever t-shirt is at the front of the drawer", so I depend on my jeans to be fairly neutral.  These turned out perfect for my needs. Understated, yet unique.

Upcycling and re-fashioning clothes is one of my favorite applications for my sewing skills, and while I was sorting through my clothes, I came across another pair of jeans (am I the only one that owns 500 jeans, but only wears 2 or 3 pair regularly??) that screamed "PANEL SKIRT!!" I obliged:
The thing about this skirt is that the denim is lightweight enough for warm weather, but the length allows me to wear it in cold weather with boots and tights. Also, I used up THE LAST YARD of some stash material that has been sitting around for about 3 years on this project. Phew! Huge weight off my back. ;)

Seriously, though, I am not a fabric-purchasing addict. The majority of my raw fabric stash has been given to me. I prefer to spend $2 on a good quality pair of jeans at the thrift store rather than $15/yard for denim at a fabric store. Plus, it's really gratifying to see a boring old pair of jeans transformed in to something quirky and me.

1 comment:

R said...

Thanks for the zig zag tip, that's really effective. And I know whar you mean about neutral bottom halves. I seem to struggle to get neutral anything, including fabric, and its soo annoying