Thursday, February 20, 2014

Girl's Reversible Wrap Dress


A few weeks ago, I found a tutorial online for a girl's reversible wrap dress. The instructions involve altering an existing a-line pattern. Usually, I have to pass on girl's dress tutorials because my nieces live 1200 miles away, but I was fortunate to have taken measurements at Thanksgiving, and I had an a-line pattern that I used for the holiday jumper that I made for my niece.

This tutorial was really easy to follow, and it was super fast to make. Generally, I try to follow the directions exactly on patterns that are new to me, but I did make one minor alteration to the original design, and that was using bias tape for the neck. I felt it was easier, and I had the coordinating bias tape on hand. It worked out really well, and saved me some trouble.

One thing that I didn't anticipate with this reversible wrap dress design is that it eats thread like a starving man at a buffet. Holy cow! I had just enough pink thread on my spool to complete this garment.

Since this is a stashbusting year for me, this project was perfect for using up some yardage. I think I used almost 3 yards (including the ties)! I would definitely recommend this to other stashbusters, as well as beginning sewers. The pattern drafting is very easy, the sewing is all basically straight lines, and you don't need any advanced finishing skills to have a polished result. I can't wait to make this again, but for my 3 year old niece.

Have you used any apparel tutorials? What is your opinion on them?

Anyway, I have officially completed my niece's birthday gifts. 2 skirts, 3 summer strap dresses, 1 Easter frock, and a reversible wrap dress. Phew! Some of the garments are not my favorite, but I'm proud of what I have accomplished. I really nudged the edges of my creativity on some of the embellishments, and I took risks that I normally wouldn't have.

I also got some sewing books in the mail this week, and I am really inspired by the projects that I am perusing. There are so many ideas being added to my "to do" list that I don't know what to get to first. I guess we'll see what gets posted next week!

No comments: