Thursday, January 16, 2014

Camera Strap from recycled denim and scraps..

The thing about stitching together hundreds of squares, is that it is extremely monotonous. I don't love it. So, I am really glad that I joined the sew-a-longs to give me something to do when my quilt project annoys me.

One of my groups is doing a step by step log cabin block tutorial this month, and week 3 was stitching the cut pieces from last week. Finally!

I have to admit that it was a bit of a pain with all the measuring and pressing, but my squares turned out really well. I changed my mind about fabric at the last minute, and went with scraps from the annoying quilt that I mentioned above. 
 It felt great to dip in to my scrap bin again and reduce more bulk there.  I had enough of these fabrics to make 3 blocks, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.
 As I have stated previously, my projects need to be functional, and I really have no use for fabric coasters or trivets or pot holders. What I have really been needing is a camera strap! The ones that I have seen commercially are so wide, and I hate, hate, hate stuff rubbing the back of my neck! That is why, after owning my camera for several years, I hadn't acquired a strap yet. So, I made one myself that is only 2" wide:
I used some denim from a pair of my son's out-grown jeans, and some hardware that I picked up a while ago for this purpose. I wish I had a better picture, but I have no idea how to get a good picture of a strap. So, you'll just have to trust me when I say that it is perfect!

What a relief to finally have a way to carry around my camera. And, how great is it that the total cost for this project was only what I paid for the hardware that attaches it to the camera? Plus, it only took about an hour to put together once I had completed the blocks. Why did it take me so long to make myself one of these??

No comments: