Sunday, October 17, 2010

Broomstick Lace

I bought a huge bag of sewing/crochet/macrame/cross-stitch books at a local book fair a few weeks ago, and, since most of the books were published in the 70's, I came across a bunch of patterns utilizing a "Broomstick Lace" crochet technique. The skill is also called Jiffy Lace, and it requires a monster knitting needle ( I used size 50) and a crochet hook. After watching some video tutorials (the picture instructions that I have are AWFUL), I gave it a go:


Pretty cool, but an awful lot of work for something that looks the same as a standard shell crochet pattern. Plus, apparently people in the 70's had ENORMOUS heads. I had to add some ties so that it wouldn't fall off. Of course, I could have measured using a gauge pattern, but then I would be one of those weird crochet automatons.

Ooh, I also crocheted some socks last week, but I haven't taken any pics yet. They were super fast, but it seems that those poor 70's people suffered with tiny feet that couldn't possibly have supported their gigantic heads. Had to personalize the pattern, as usual. :)

No comments: