Friday, March 26, 2010

The last bag I'll make in Chicago...

A couple of months ago my husband's aunt asked about the messenger bags that I make, and so I naturally offered to put one together for her. You have to know that she's a little eccentric, so this task was pretty exciting. I had the perfect shirt in mind for her, but the coordinating fabric had me a little stumped.
Front:
I wanted to do something unique and, fortunately, I stumbled across this Drunkards Path quilt pattern that I thought would be perfect! But, once I started putting it together I realized that it was a little too busy, so I broke it up with some t-shirt strips.
Back:
Once the outside was settled I knew I needed lots of pockets on the inside. I actually use one of these bags as my everyday purse, and I know the need for storage. So, I designed 3 fun little pockets for the interior:


Open pocket.






Zippered pocket:



Chapstick & pen pocket:









And then I came across an idea that solved my adjustable strap issues. BUTTONS!! Of course!! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. It seems so obvious!
So, it took me almost 2 months to make this bag, but I feel like it is a real work of art. I hope my husband's aunt likes it because I really did put a lot of thought in to it.


And now, on to the Big Move! We are fleeing the Chicagoland area this May and transporting our accumulated junk and northern attitudes to Georgia. My sewing area is mostly packed up and ready to be transplanted to a BIGGER and BETTER space! So, expect GRANDIOSE experiments in sewing this summer because I plan to hide from the heat as thoroughly as I can. :)

1 comment:

Lola said...

Good luck with the move!