Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Poor Time Management..

I have an almost finished messenger bag sitting on my sewing table looking very morose and neglected. But, I have been in a reading mood for the past few days, and I just can't pull myself away from L.A. Banks' Vampire Huntress Series to get back to the bag.

It's not that this series is particularly good, but I am a complete sucker for vampire books. (By the way, there will be NO discussion of Stephenie Meyer's ridiculously infantile submissions to the literary world on this blog. There are plenty of other venues for discussing that tripe.)
Her first book - Minion - is a clear example of Ms. Banks' writing inexperience but it also introduces you to her immense passion for the subject matter. I read this one when it first came out in paperback, and I thought I liked it back then. When I recently re-read it, I realized, mmmm, not so much. But, I was invested at that point (having foolishly purchased books 1 & 2). So, I worked through the choppy plot and blatant religious references, and made it to book 2.


The Awakening is marginally better than book 1. The story is a little more fluid, and now that I know all of the characters it is easier to relate to them. BUT, the ghetto vernacular like, "dayyuuum!" and "chile" instead of "child" really grates my nerves a little. I know I'm being ridiculous, but can't at least ONE of the characters speak without using ebonics?? Pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee!?!?
All in all, it was fine. And when I say "fine," I mean it was okay or mediocre not "fine" like, "Dayyyuuum, that girl is FINE!"
This book creates a solid lead-in to the next novel by forcing the reader to care about and root for the seemingly doomed relationship.
I should finish "The Hunted" today. So far, this is the best of the 3 books that I have read so far. But, I may only be feeling that way because I know how shocked all of the religious readers are when they read the steamy love scenes near the beginning of this installment in the series. ;)
The story has a some substance, but Ms. Banks spent a lot of time on the romantic relationship. I'm not a fan of romance novels, but I'm dealing with it in anticipation of intense bloodshed by the end.
I already have the next 2 books in my possession from the library, so don't expect my bag pics anytime soon. When I get in to a series, I suffer from "reading frenzy," and can't force myself to find the time for my other hobbies. I'm lucky if I remember to feed my family during a good series! :)


No comments: