Thursday, July 2, 2009

Krispy Strawberry Stars Recipe

Back Story: Once upon a time I was shopping with a friend, and we stopped at one of those coffee shops inside a department store, and they had these GARGANTUAN Rice Krispy Treats, and we were STARVING and INSANE, so we bought one to share, I think, and I ate it and got so sick that I have HATED Rice Krispy Treats ever since.

That being said, kids still love these treats, and I have a 4th of July party to attend on Saturday, so I thought I would give the kids their own non-grownup dessert. Of course, my husband would happily down the entire batch of these things, but he's a weirdo who likes to gross me out.

So, I had some strawberry marshmallows that caused stomach unhappiness after eating 2, and I needed to do something with them. I realized that I had a box of Rice Krispies, and it dawned on me that I could make a frugal contribution to the fireworks party this weekend.

***********************
The mixture is your basic Rice Krispy Treat recipe except that I used strawberry flavored marshmallows:

3 TBS Butter
1 bag of Strawberry Marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispy (or comparable cheap brand) cereal

Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave (no, you don't need a specific time, just nuke it until it is liquid). Add the marshmallows and toss to coat. Microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds-ish. The marshmallows will still look whole. It's cool, just stir them up! Add rice cereal and fold the mixture together.

Note - Use a metal spoon. Marshmallow and plastic are arch enemies and you will be caught in the middle of their melee if you choose a plastic spoon. I mean it, keep away from that brawl.

Okay, grease up your 13x9 inch baking pan (If you used stick butter for the mix, then use the wrapper to grease up that bad boy!) and spoon the rice krispy mix into the pan. USING WAX PAPER press the mix into the pan.

- Making the shapes -
>WHILE IT IS STILL WARM: Flip the pan onto a sheet of wax paper and let the rice rectangle fall.
>Get out your metal (you have already been warned about plastic)cookie cutters (I used the star shape for the 4th of July theme) and grease them up.
>Next, cut your shapes out of the rice rectangle.

**When you run out of room to cut your shape just transer the mix back to the pan, press, and flip on to the wax paper again.
Finally, add some flair.....
I decided to decorate my stars with some white chocolate. There are 2 ways to melt the white chocolate:
Way #1 (the method I chose) - Put 1 cup of white chocolate morsels in a bowl. Microwave it for about 1 minute 20 seconds and stir it up. Transfer to a squirt bottle or ziploc bag with the corner cut and drizzle:
Way #2: Put 1 cup white chocolate morsels and 1 TBS vegetable shortening (no, you cannot use butter with white chocolate - gross for even asking) in a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute-ish and stir. - This way will give you a smoother, more drizzle-able chocolate, and it will be shiny, but it will taste a little different.

Let the treats cool, store in between wax paper in an airtight container, and you have yummy (and cheap) treats for the kiddos!! Enjoy.

I have a Stuffed Strawberry Recipe that I am making for the adults. I'll share that on Saturday. Happy 4th!




No comments: