Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hooded Jersey Jumper

I don't know if it is like this for all crafters, but I often find myself doubting my skills and creativity. I look at the work of my fellow Etsy and Artfire sellers and I cannot help but feel dwarfed by their genius. I know that I am generally hyper-critical of myself, but that's beacause I am still an infant in the craft world. I have only been sewing apparel for a couple of years, and although I have picked up a lot of useful skills, and experimented with different design/embellishment techniques, I find myself feeling inadequate most of the time. There are tons of projects that look flawed and sloppy to me. Especially my applique. I haven't spent as much time on it as I would like to, and because of my lack of practice I stuggle with it when I want to add it to a garment.

This week, I put together a quick little hooded jersey jumper for the Pretty Pretty Princess, and I decided that an applique was in order. Now, I know I was setting myself up for failure by stitching my design to stretch jersey, but I took precautions and had high hopes. This is the result up close:
I "satin-stitched" (sorta) the inner raw edges and used a serger on the outer edge prior to placing the applique on the jumper. Then, I used a straight stitch to attach it. From farther away it looks okay, but I am still unhappy with my primitive skills.
Although, I am proud of the fact that I made this hooded jumper (and the one without a hood, below) from my memory of an outfit I saw on another little girl at the beach. I didn't use a store bought pattern, I just made a bodice and hood pattern on my own and refashioned a couple of T-shirts I had lying around. I thought about using some bias tape around the raw edges, but decided that I like the look of the serger stitches better.
I guess the lesson here is that I have a long long way to go until I can look at my work and feel confident. I will just live by my mantra (sung to Dory's tune in Finding Nemo) "Just keep sewing, sewing, sewing..." until I can proudly display most of what I make. The point is to create, not to be perfect. Right?

No comments: