Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

It's Sewing Machine Month at Sew, Mama, Sew! And, since this is a sewing blog, (and I have suffered through a fruitless "sewing machine information" search before), I figured I would participate in this meme. So, here we go....

What brand and model do you have?I have a Singer Slant-O-Matic 401 for general sewing, and a Riccar Lock RL-613 for serging.

How long have you had it?I have had this Singer for almost a year, and the serger for a few months. But, as you can see, they are both older machines that were handed down to me by my mother-in-law.


What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
I sew anything I can think of. Apparel, quilts, handbags, home accessories, etc...
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I use the Singer several times a week, and the Serger once or twice a week. The Singer handles the brunt of my work, but the serger is subject to the most torture.
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?I love, love, love my Singer. It has decorative stitch cams, dual needle capabilities, and rarely gives me attitude. My serger (Sergio), on the other hand, has a tendency to work my last nerve - as is evident here.
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
I would recommend both machines to beginners, but the Singer is fantastic for pros, too. You really can't ask for much more in a sewing machine than what my Singer offers, and it is a total workhorse. I think this machine will be around with the cockroaches after a nuclear explosion. The Riccar Serger that I have is very basic, and a great machine to learn on. If you can master the Riccar RL-613, then you can handle just about anything.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
#1 most important thing - Make sure the machine has a user-friendly manual! I refer to my Singer manual for everything from buttonholes to monogramming. If you can't read the manual, you will never understand the machine.

Do you have a dream machine?I'm thinking about getting an embroidery machine. My Singer has embroidery capabilities, but I rely on it for all of my daily sewing, and I don't want to stress it out. :)

1 comment:

Two Pretty Little Skirts said...

HI Angela! Love your sewing machine meme. I meme'd over on my blog too...this one was particularly enjoyable since I love my machine and sewing :)
I see you participate in the crafty challenge. Cant wait to see what you come up with...I'm still thinking, no clue.
Dawn