Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Girl on Fire

Okay, this post is a quickie since I have to get The Bear to the bus..

After using black fabric in the last dress I finished, I was still feeling the need for a little darkness. So, I pulled out some completely mismatched patterns (flames and flowers) and totally dug the way they coordinated:


This outfit ended up being a 2 piece rather than a dress, and I am thrilled with the results. I kept the embellishment to a minimum, and I completely excluded fancy stitchery. The flames are powerful enough as is:

The shorts seemed boring with just the black flower print fabric, so I added some racing stripes up the sides in the flame print:


And this is how the 2 pieces look separately. All I have left is to put the shorts on Pretty Pretty Princess so that I can close up the elastic on the waistband.


It may be a little much for a "girly girl," but I'm confident that my niece is badass enough to pull this off. This is what I would dress my own girl in if I had one.
Total time was 3 hours since the pattern was already cut and the sewing was super quick. Plus, Sergio was a champ, and ALL of the exposed seams are serged! VICTORY IS MINE!!
I have no idea what the cost is since I bought these fabrics last year, and the pattern was previously used.
I know I said I was making 5-ish outfits, but I still have 2 1/2 weeks until her birthday, and LOADS of ideas still floating around in my head. What will I make next???


2 comments:

Linda said...

I want to have a girl just so she could wear this. Love it!

Occasional Martha said...

I'm digging the flowers and flames, too! You have a great eye.