Monday, February 16, 2009

Doldrums....



I have been hording this fabric for awhile just waiting for a bolt of inspiration to slam in to my brain, and when I saw the pictures of my new niece (who will be hereby referred to as Princess Peanut) I knew she had to be draped in this like a miniature greek goddess.

It turns out that I don't own a "greek goddess" draping pattern, so I used an old standby style that I love for 9-12mo. old girls. The only problem is that, upon completion, I felt like this is the MOST boring dress I have ever made. I mean, the fabric is cute, but so what? Where's the pizzazz? Where's the embellishment possibilities?

I, pathetically, added a decorative stitch that does nothing to excite the overall appearance.

I am totally bummed by this dress. Granted, it is a dress for an infant, but I still wanted it to be a little more special than just some fabric sewn into a pretty shape. I have some ribbon that would have been nice, but the only appropriate place for it is the hem, and I decided that would be even more creatively disturbing than my fancy stitchery. *sigh* I think I need to spend a few hours in the notions department of the fabric store to recharge my inspiration...

1 comment:

Kat said...

You are just amazingly creative!!! I'm always in awe of sewists who make such delightful, charming outfits and know how to coordinate prints. They're all so unique and boutique looking.