Saturday, January 17, 2009

Spring Sew-a-thon...

I finally decided to create a sewing/crafty/crazy thought blog so that I can distinguish my individual identity from the "family picture" blog. Also, I felt like an ass posting my projects between pictures of the kids. Like, "Hey look at me! I'm great too!! I know the kids are cute, but what about meeeeeeee???" Seemed whiny and desperate.

Anywho, here I am, in the midst of January, finally starting on the pretty pretty princess' 2 year old birthday gifts. I trekked to JoAnn's the other day (the nearest one being about as close as China), and I found some super awesome bargains so I thought it would be a good time to start my spring sewing projects.

This is the first dress I have made so far. Well, not the first dress EVER, but the first dress for my niece's 2nd birthday. I will probably end up with about 4 or 5 outfits when I am done, but I am no where near done, so back to this dress..

I loved this cotton linen-y fabric because it has a watercolor/tie dye look too it, and I find that whimsically appealing. But, once I started cutting out pieces I realized that it may be a seizure inducer without some contrast fabric, and that's how the purple brush stroke cotton print ended up in there. But then, the original length of the pattern made the dress mumu-rific, so I cut it down and added some homemade bias tape, and Voila!! How cute are the little tulip-sleeves? (Totally my term, by the way. I am not a professional, and I have no idea what the tulip sleeves are actually called).

I think it's got a peasant girl, bohemian vibe and it is going to make the pretty pretty princess' hazel eyes pop right out!!


I also threw in some flirty stitchery because I'm crazy that way.

And a picture of my expert elastic placement and gathering technique in the sleeves....

Total project time was about 4 hours from pattern cutting to final stitch. Not bad considering that this is a brand new pattern!
Total cost was SUPER CHEAP!! The main fabric was on clearance at JoAnn's, and the clearance was on sale, so I got 3 million percent off and ended up paying, like, $1 per yard. This dress took less than a yard of material, plus the pattern was $0.99 (also on sale), and the thread I got for free from my MIL. Final tally, $1.99. Woo hoo!

No comments: